THE INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF THE RED CROSS (ICRC) VACANCY 2013
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has been actively engaged in and with Malaysia for over 50 years, working to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. The current Regional Delegation in Kuala Lumpur opened in 2001 and oversees activities in Malaysia, Singapore and in Brunei Darussalam. The Delegation also hosts the Regional Resource Centre, which supports the work of ICRC Delegations in Southeast and East Asia. It currently employs some 30 Malaysian and international staff.
The ICRC is opening an office in Kota Kinabalu. It is looking to recruit a Field Officer to join this new office in Sabah, which is responsible for implementing the office’s programmes in favour of the assistance to and/or protection of vulnerable groups and promoting humanitarian principles in Sabah.
Main duties and responsibilities
Under supervision of the Head of Office in Sabah, the Field Officer will:
- Participate in visits to detention places in Sabah and related follow up efforts in favour of detainees
- Contribute to the cooperation between the ICRC and the Malaysian Red Crescent (MRC) Sabah Branch
- Establish and maintain a network of contacts with entities in the civil society, academic, religious and governmental institutions in Sabah
- Enhance the ICRC’s understanding of Sabah and contribute to the positioning of ICRC in Sabah and the region
- Assist the delegation in the further development of its objectives, strategies and activities, as well as in their implementation
- Perform any other duties as required for the smooth functioning of the office, implementation of its activities and realization of its humanitarian objectives Detail Job